Our school vision - nurturing, supporting, believing, achieving!
Curriculum Mission Statement - Our Overall Vision
Nurturing, supporting, believing and achieving underpin our main aims. We always instil aspiration and a love of learning in every child, empowering them to reach their full potential through positive learning experiences and cultural capital, giving them the knowledge and skills they need to achieve well.
Our curriculum is carefully designed to meet the needs of the children of Drighlington Primary School and ensure that their skills and knowledge develop and grow in a sequential way as they move through school, revisiting concepts to consolidate their learning. Our constant aim is to spark enthusiasm for learning and a real sense of pleasure from achievements..
Our knowledge of our children means that we are able to design a curriculum which fills gaps in their skills and experiences. We engage children in their learning by making links to the interests, passions and values of their community. Our approach to the curriculum ensures that we cover all statutory aspects of the National curriculum, comply with duties in the Equality Act 2010 and the Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014 by making the curriculum accessible for those with disabilities or special educational needs.
Overarching Aims of our Curriculum - Golden Threads
- To provide high quality learning experiences which equip all children with the knowledge and skills needed to achieve well across the full curriculum.
- To create a nurturing, warm learning environment where children are well-supported and thrive.
- To promote well-being, growth mind-set, self-regulation and positive mental health to enhance children’s life skills.
- To develop children’s oracy and vocabulary to enable them to express themselves fluently and make sense of language.
- To develop cultural capital by widening children’s cultural awareness, giving them an understanding of diverse ways of life.
- To raise children’s aspirations for the future by providing an exciting range of life experiences.
- To respect and explore the values and traditions of our community
The overarching aims are also known as our golden threads. These are key issues which are so important that they need to run through all areas of the curriculum.
Our curriculum is driven by seven golden threads that provide a framework for learning and help to deepen children’s understanding of what is being taught. These threads are big, transferable ideas that have a real world meaning and help children make sense of the world around them. These threads can be revisited within and across year groups so that children can build upon their existing knowledge.
Approaches to Learning:
- High learning expectations
- Consistent approaches to learning and behaviour
- Same day Interventions
- Personalised learning
- Responsive teaching
- Inclusion for all
- White Rose Maths
- Talk for Writing
- Systematic phonics teaching
- Reading for pleasure
- Vocabulary study
- Promotion of growth-mindset and self-regulation
- Pupil responsibilities
- Promotion of physical and mental well-being
- High quality resources
- Purposeful and inviting classroom
- Enrichment days/weeks
- Use of the local environment
- Parent partnership
- Educational visits and visitors
- Community Links
As a result of these approaches, children achieve well, enjoy their lessons and have a wide range of experiences during their time at our school. When they leave our school, children are well-prepared for the next stage of their education and are able to make a positive contribution to their community.
To download a one page over-view of our curriculum aims, click here.