Our school vision:
Nurturing, supporting, believing, achieving!
Curriculum Mission Statement:
To instill aspiration and a love of learning in every child, empowering them to reach their full potential through positive learning experiences which give them the knowledge and skills they need to achieve well.
Our curriculum is carefully designed to meet the needs of the children of Drighlington Primary School. Our knowledge of our children means that we are able to design a curriculum which fills gaps in their skills and experiences. We engage children in their learning by making links to the interests, passions and values of their community.
The aims were developed in consultation with staff and children.
Overarching Aims of our Curriculum:
- To provide high quality learning experiences which equip children with the knowledge and skills needed to achieve well across the full curriculum.
- To create a nurturing, warm learning environment where children are well-supported and thrive.
- To promote well-being, growth mind-set and positive mental health to enhance children’s life skills.
- To develop children’s oracy and vocabulary to enable them to express themselves fluently and make sense of language.
- To widen children’s cultural awareness, giving them an understanding of diverse cultures, religions and ways of life.
- To raise children’s aspirations for the future by providing an exciting range of life experiences.
- To respect and explore the values and traditions of our community.
Approaches to Learning:
(to find out more about each aspect, click on the links)
- High learning expectations
- Consistent approaches to learning and behaviour
- Same Day Intervention
- Inclusion for all
- Educational visits and visitors
- Talk for Writing
- Systematic phonics teaching
- Assertive Mentoring
- Promotion of growth-mindset
- Reading Plus
- Parent partnership
- Enrichment days/weeks
- Reading for pleasure
- Personalised learning
- High quality resources
- Community Links
- Vocabulary study
- Using the local environment
- Pupil responsibilities
- Promotion of physical and mental well-being
- Responsive teaching
As a result of these approaches, children achieve well, enjoy their lessons and have a wide range of experiences during their time at our school. When they leave our school, children are well-prepared for the next stage of their education and are able to make a positive contribution to their community.
To download a one page over-view of our curriculum aims, click here.